Betting Types for Boxing
- Fight Result – This is also called a single fight bet. In this, you are simply picking who you think will win the fight. Your selection has to be correct for you to win the bet.
- Round Selector – Instead of betting on the winner of the bout, with this type, you are wagering on which round you feel this fight will end. With this, you have to be correct to win. Different rounds have different pay-outs, depending on how bookmakers feel the fight will go.
- Knockout Betting – With this type of betting, you are electing whether or not the end result of the boxing match will be via knock-out or by points. Again, depending on the fighters in the bout, the odds will vary.
- Specials – These are a little tougher to explain, but they are known as specials for that reason. They are special bets that will be given as the fight gets closer to the date.
- Doubles – When you bet on doubles in boxing, you are predicting two selections in different events. This is a lot like a parlay bet, where you must win both bets for the wager to be good.
- Trebles – This is just like a doubles bet, but now you are putting three selections in different events. All selections must be successful before you win the bet.
- Prop Bets – With prop bets, these are certain events within a boxing match, or a series of matches. These are specific actions of things that may happen during the match. These are fun to bet on, but very difficult to be successful at.
Best Boxing Events to Bet On
- Women’s bouts – The women’s bouts are what a lot of people enjoy watching. Because boxing is typically known as a men’s sport, women’s boxing bouts produce some great betting odds as well.
- Super Heavyweight bouts – These are the big dogs. The biggest boxers, and a lot of times the guys that the lukewarm boxing fans have heard of most. These are great to bet on, and typically produce very fair odds.
- Junior bouts – These are big, and fun to bet on, because they are some of the up and coming boxers in the USA. These often times cannot be bet on, but there are some places that offer Junior bouts betting. When these are offered, take advantage of them!
- IBF bouts – The International Boxing Federation is known as one of the more popular organizations. These fights feature some of the top boxers in the entire world. These events are scheduled well in advance, and typically take place in a big venue.
Tips to Betting on Boxing
There are several things you can do to become a successful bettor in the world of boxing. Those that go into betting on Boxing blindly will not have much successful, as the sport is very unpredictable. Here are a few things you should know about betting on boxing.
- Research both fighters; not just one – What we are talking about here is, make sure you understand both of the fighters. If you write one off, just because you have not heard of him, you are not going to be a very successful boxing bettor. There are guys all over the place that become successful, following one big win. This could happen with the games you are betting!
- Look at the styles of the fighters – When you are diagnosing the fight, know both of the fighters styles, and how well they have fared against guys that fight in similar fashion to their next opponent. This is telling tale. There may be a guy that has a tough time fighting against a certain style, or dominate guys that fight in that way.
- Shop around for the best odds – Be sure you are doing your homework. It would be a good idea to join a few sports books, and then look for the best odds available. Some of the times you can find much better odds, many times you can find a little bit better odds, and many times the odds will be the same. Over the long term of boxing betting, you will win a bunch more money by shopping for lines.
- Check recent trends – Check out how both fighters have been doing as of recent. If a fighter is having a tough time winning bouts, you may want to stay away from betting him. Sure, he could break out and snap his streak, but make sure you are following how he has been doing, and who he has been fighting against.
- Look for possible injuries – This one just makes sense. If a fighter is hurt, than he will have a tough time being successful. Be sure to check out whether either fighter is battling an injury or not. Sometimes, fighters will participate in their bout, even despite a nagging injury.
- Use good bankroll management – This is simply, do not over bet on any one event. Using good bankroll management means setting a limit of your bets, and sticking with them. A good idea would be, set an amount for a “small” bet, a “medium” bet, and a “large” bet. Stick with those amounts, even if you think you found a sure shot bet. This will help you stay ahead of the game, through the entire journey of boxing betting.