Man caught carrying drugs and firearms at Boston casino

by Ethan Anderson Last Updated
Man caught carrying drugs and firearms at Boston casino

A New Hampshire man was arrested last week for operating a drug ring at the Encore Boston Harbour casino in Massachusetts.

Calvin Ayre reports 32-year-old Matthew Gorman was caught red handed last September at the Wynn Resorts owned property and busted in possession of methamphetamine and two semi-automatic pistols and three large-capacity magazines.

As a result, he was charged with five counts of possession of a large capacity firearm, two counts of possession of a loaded firearm and a single count of possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance.

The charges were upheld by a grand jury in Massachusetts’ Middlesex County.

Given the fact that casinos have a great amount of experience monitoring and surveilling those who visit their properties, it would have been difficult for Gorman to find a way to plead not guilty, even if he hadn’t been caught with all the evidence in his possession.

Massachusetts casinos began to reopen in July following a shutdown caused by COVID-19 and even if security was a little rusty, casinos have too much at risk not to remain vigilant.

With reduced capacities in response to the pandemic, security personnel and the eyes in the sky have a much easier time keeping tabs on what is happening on casino floors.

Now that the grand jury has weighed in on Gorman’s entrepreneurial spirit, next comes the sentencing.

It will be up to a judge to determine the ebay penalty for his crimes.

According to Massachusetts law, intentionally distributing the drug is worth ten years in a prison and a fine as much as $10,000.

The gambling venues in Massachusetts have had to deal with a fair amount of crime over the past couple of years.

Just under a year ago, Encore had to deal with two altercations in one night, both of which required police intervention.

Encore’s not alone though, with MGM Springfield known for its crime in a media report in January 2019.

Encore Boston Harbour warned after huge hotel suite party 

A casino hotel party has drawn the ire of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.

Enterprise News reported in August the commission met last Thursday to address blatant violations of its coronavirus pandemic regulations, calling for increased accountability after more than 100 people were partying in a hotel suite at Encore Casino Boston Harbour.

All bets are off when it comes to gambling with public health at the state’s casinos, with the need to comply with state regulations “critically important”, according to commission chairperson Cathy Judd-Stein.

The commission addressed protocol changes at Encore in light of a party that lasted until 3am on August 16, when more than 110 people were finally cleared from a suite by security and state police, three hours after the gathering was first reported to staff by a tipster, who saw pictures of the event on Instagram.

Face masks were missing and social distancing guidelines flouted, interim director of the state commission and director of its investigations and enforcement bureau Karen Wells said.

“The majority of them were not wearing masks,” Wells said.

The gaming commission issued an order of non compliance to Boston Harbour after a swift investigation in concert with state police, requiring the casino property to implement measures to make sure its guests comply with the state’s coronavirus public health orders.

The party organiser, identified as Dorchester resident George Gerez, was charged with disorderly conduct for hosting the gathering, and issued a $500 citation for violating the state’s coronavirus pandemic order prohibiting large indoor gatherings.

Gerez, who had a DJ playing at the late night party, later took to social media with a post sharing a photograph of his $500 fine, stating “Knew this was coming.”

In addition to the Instagram tip, Wells said a hotel butler observed more than 30 people inside the hotel suite around 12.15am after being called to the room.

Back to top