Ohio casino gears up for reopening
A popular casino in Ohio is reopening on Friday, having been closed for more than three months due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Biz Journals reports that Columbus’ Hollywood Casino is set to reopen, but it won’t look the same.
There are new protocols, including spaced-out slot machines, limited seating at table games and the continued suspension of live music and entertainment.
The casino, which has been closed since mid-March, will reopen at 6am on Friday.
Vice president and general manager of the casino Jason Birney said that while the amenities in the casino will be limited, the ability to safely welcome back team members and guests remains a top priority.
“We are grateful for the overwhelming support, patience and understanding from our customers through these unprecedented times, and can’t wait to welcome them back on June 19,” Mr Birney said.
The casino will limit its capacity to 50 per cent of normal.
Its restaurant offerings will be limited.
It will also be installing floor decals and signage to remind guests of social distancing in places where lines typically form.
Guests are encouraged to wear masks into the casino and masks will be required for patrons playing table games.
Those entering the casino will also have to respond to a health screening.
Staff members will be required to wear masks and have daily health screenings and temperature checks.
Macau will look to reopen Chinese border
The Liaison Office of the Macau SAR has confirmed it will proactively express to the Beijing government the wishes of the Macau public to resume border operations between Macau and Guangdong Province.
Asgam reported last week that despite rumours that mandatory quarantine measures between the two jurisdictions may have been lifted by early June, the measures still remain in place as gaming operators and local businesses await further news.
According to local Chinese media, the head of the Coordination Department of the Macau Liaison Office, Fu Tie Sheng, spoke at a meeting with a local association last Saturday, revealing the Office has been among those actively pushing to reopen the borders.
However, Fu said Guangdong Province needs to further adjust its policies due to added COVID-19 preventative work and urged the Macau public to be “confident and patient”.
Normal operations between Macau and Guangdong have been suspended for over two months now after Guangdong imposed a 14-day mandatory quarantine on certain arrivals from Macau on March 27.
Sheraton Macau used for citizen quarantine
Sheraton Grand Macau is once again being utilised as a medical observation hotel.
The Macau SAR government announced last Sunday that the Pousada Marina Infante Hotel, which has been used as a quarantine hotel since the outbreak of COVID-19 and was the only one of 12 hotels still in use, had reached capacity with the Sheraton Grand Macau now being utilised once again.
As before, a special area comprising 2,000 of Sheraton Grand Macau’s 4,000 rooms has been isolated for quarantine purposes with Macau’s health authority sending personnel to guide preparatory works and close off all passages connecting with shopping malls, restaurants and other hotels in Sands China’s Cotai precinct.
Sheraton Grand Macau was first named as Macau’s 12th quarantine venue on March 27, providing up to 2,000 rooms for the government to use to house people undergoing mandatory 14-day quarantine.
However, only 500 rooms were used the first time around.