Fri, Nov 22, 2:10pm by Mia Chapman
The architects behind the design of Brisbane’s Queen’s Wharf have been recognised for their cutting edge design.
Architecture and Design reports that PDF, now known as DBM Vircon, has been awarded a 2019 buildingSMART International Award in the design category for its work in Queensland.
The award recognises the exemplary use and implementation of building information modelling.
More than 100 projects were submitted for initial review, with the other finalists in the design category including the China Railway Design Corporation for the Jingxiong High Speed Railway and DEUBIM GmhB for FMZ Leinefelde.
Expected to open in 2022, Queen’s Wharf is expected to be a world-class integrated resort development.
The Destination Brisbane Consortium is delivering the $3.6 billion development, which will cover more than 26 hectares across land and water – equivalent to 10 per cent of Brisbane’s CBD.
The development includes 50 new bars, cafes and restaurants, 2,000 apartments across three residential towers and more than 1,100 hotel rooms operating under four hotel brands, as well as a casino.
There is significant public space integrated into the design of the development, with the equivalent of 12 football fields utilised.
This public space will help to accommodate the additional 1.39 million visitors expected in Brisbane as a direct consequence of the project.
The development has already achieved a 6-star Green Star Communities rating.
In developing the project, 16 different pieces of software were utilised by 39 contributing organises, with 215 individual models processed weekly.
— Recon Daily (@ReconDaily) October 23, 2018
Construction giant Multiplex was awarded the Queen’s Wharf construction contract, estimated to be worth up to $1.5 billion.
The Urban Developer reported in June that competition for the “city shaping” Queen’s Wharf project had come down to two contractors: Multiplex and Hutchinson Builders.
Multiplex will kick off construction by mid-year.
The lump sum contract is for the development of the integrated resort component of Queen’s Wharf, which includes five levels of basement car park, the tower structures, the sky deck and the façade of the main integrated resort.
At least 60 per cent of the project cost will be executed under the construction contract.
In its half yearly results, Star Entertainment Group said it was targeting a total $2.4 billion project cost.
“It’s a massive contract that, in total, will include approximately 370,000sqm of floor area and 105,000sqm of energy efficient glazed façade,” Destination Brisbane Consortium project director Simon Crooks said.
The project is being developed by the Destination Brisbane Consortium, a joint venture led by casino giant Star Entertainment Group, with Far East Consortium and Chow Tai Fook Enterprises.
Star holds a 50 per cent equity share in the project, while its Hong Kong-based partners each hold a 25 per cent interest.
When complete, Queen’s Wharf Brisbane will deliver four new hotels, more than 50 bars and restaurants, 2,000 residential apartments and the equivalent of 12 football fields of public space.
It will cover a massive 27.3 hectares, 20 per cent of Brisbane’s CBD.
Multiplex halted work on the $1.2 billion Collins Arch project earlier this month, delivered Queen’s Wharf neighbour Cbus Property’s “tower of power” at 1 William Street and the $1 billion Brisbane Quarter.
Major Queensland projects under construction for the building giant include the residential component of Brisbane Quarter and Yuhu Group’s triple-tower Jewel development on the Gold Coast.
The first stage of the Cottee Parker-designed integrated resort development is slated for a late-2022 completion.
Crooks said that the contract remained subject to board approval and state government endorsement.
“The next step will be the public confirmation of the contract signing after the state government has completed its review process.”
Construction works are expected to reach George Street level by late-2020.
The Competition and Markets Authority investigation into the merger between two of the world’s betting firms has been given the all clear.…
The Star Entertainment Group is the latest to defer their payouts to shareholders as they cope with lockdown measures that have devastated…
With casinos shut and major sports cancelling or postponing their seasons, bookmakers and gambling sites are still finding ways to reach problem…