Thu, Dec 27, 12:34am by Staff Writer
Manchester United star striker Alexis Sanchez has denied reports that he placed a 20,000 GBP bet with a fellow teammate on whether his former coach Jose Mourinho was to be sacked.
English newspaper The Sun reported on Friday that the Chilean international had made the bet with Marcos Rojo on a WhatsApp group containing United players. It stated that on the chat he told Rojo he now owed him 20,000 pounds on the chat following Mourinho’s sacking on last Tuesday.
Sanchez tweeted on Friday in response to the report “This is FALSE!!!. José gave me the chance to play for the best team in the world and I only have gratitude for him. We are a truly United team. We are MANCHESTER UNITED. Respect. I can’t wait to help the team !. Good luck tomorrow family!”
Mourinho was sacked on Tuesday last week following the club’s 3-1 away defeat to ladder leaders Liverpool, which saw them at sixth on the English Premier League table, 19 points adrift from top position. Sanchez was joined United from Arsenal in January, however has struggled to find his best form at his new club.
Mourinho was even forced to deny reports last month that Sanchez was looking for an exit from Old Trafford. The 30 year old has scored 4 goals from 30 appearances at United however has not played since November due to a hamstring problem.
Mourinho has been replaced by former United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who will serve as manager in a temporary capacity until the end of the season before returning to Norwegian side Molde. Solskjaer took United to Cardiff on Saturday for his first game, trouncing Cardiff City 5-1.
The controversy surrounding Sanchez’s alleged bet comes hot on the heels of Liverpool and England striker Daniel Sturridge’s charge regarding bets made associated with his transfer of clubs in January. Sturridge was recently given an extension to February 11 to respond to the charge by the Football Association (FA), after asking for extra time to answer after being charged in November.
The controversy surrounds Sturridge’s shock loan transfer to West Brom in January 2018. According to Sky Sports News, the investigation is partly associated with a family member of Sturridge playing a 10,000 pound bet on the striker moving to Inter Milan.
The Liverpool striker was thought to be a target of Inter Milan in January according to Sky Sports Italy, however he later signed with West Brom later that month. One punter attempted to place a 5,000 pound bet for Sturridge to join West Brom at 66/1.
— PA Dugout (@PAdugout) December 21, 2018
Sturridge handed his mobile phone over to the FA investigators shortly after they launched their investigation in March. This came as a result of intelligence from bet-monitoring services over wagers placed on his potential transfer in January.
The FA is said to have employed technology wizards to check texts, messages and phone calls made by Sturridge during the January window. Sturridge has denied placing a bet, however FA rules extend to friends and family. Given the extension, the investigation may well drag on until the end of the football season.
Australian company Pointsbet announced that it planned to open its second US-based headquarters in Denver, before the state legalised sports betting. Its…
Google is planning to allow online casino adverts in the United States in a stunning backflip on one of its moral advertising…
MGM Resorts’ status as the front runner to be the first casino operator to open an integrated resort in Japan was cemented…