Tue, Nov 26, 1:13pm by William Brown
The Australian government will be putting forward legislation that will allow people to ban themselves from all online gambling sites.
9 News reports that the online National Self-Exclusion Register aims to reduce gambling-related harm and is a key measure within the National Consumer Protection Framework.
Families and Social Services Minister Anne Ruston said that as much as possible, government policy should preserve Australians’ ability to enjoy a punt while putting in place sensible and targeted measures to prevent and support gamblers facing significant risks of harm.
Sen Rushton said the proposed register is a voluntary process where an individual can ban themselves from using all interactive wagering services across state boundaries for a period ranging from three months or permanently through one simple process.
“It is a measure that we believe will motivate gamblers to have periods where they do not gamble online at all as a way of changing their behaviour and minimising the risk they face of gambling-related harm,” Senator Rushton said.
Under the register, interactive wagering service providers would be prohibited from directly advertising and promoting to a person registered for self-exclusion.
Upon registration, all funds held in a consumer’s active accounts must be returned to the consumer once all wagers and bets are settled and the account must then be closed.
Once implemented, the Australian Communications and Media Authority would be responsible for the implementation of the register.
Australian government to create national gambling self-exclusion register https://t.co/vSJKL2kvjD
— Asia Gaming Brief (@agbrief) November 25, 2019
Google is planning to allow online casino adverts in the United States in a stunning backflip on one of its moral advertising principles.
High Stakes is reporting the move could prove to be a boon for the poker, sports betting, casino and gambling industry, who have struggled to get their adverts through some of Google’s strict policies, despite states in the United States legalising the industry in recent times.
Google has so far restricted the ability of such companies to get their product to the masses through its search engine.
According to EGR Intel, Google is “planning to unblock online casino adverts in the US gambling market by the first quarter of 2020” following an earlier decision to allow fantasy betting in some states.
Last month, the states of Indiana, Iowa, Montana, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island were given the all-clear to advertise, joining Nevada, New Jersey and West Virginia – with countries such as Kenya, Nigeria and Colombia also named.
Operators will benefit tremendously because they will have access to tools such as Google Ads, Google Display Network and YouTube to target their customers.
For the online poker industry, it remains to be seen how much they will benefit, but this move reflects a general trend that sees the financial benefits take precedence over oppressive regulation.
Although Google is insistent hat regulation will still determine which markets get access to the relaxed rules, it is seen my many in the industry as a positive step.
Cyprus has become the latest European country to come up with restrictions in the way gambling services are advertised on its territory, Casino News Daily reported in July.
The Cyprus Gaming and Casino Supervision Commission announced Monday that it has crafted a set of rules regarding the promotion of the Mediterranean nation’s nascent land-based casino industry.
There are four operational casinos on the territory of the Republic of Cyprus – one temporary casino in Limassol, which will remain operational while a larger integrated resort is under development in the city, and three satellite casinos in Nicosia, Larnaca, and Ayia Napa.
All four gaming facilities operate under the Cyprus Casinos (C2) brand, which is managed by Integrated Casino Resorts (Cyprus) Ltd. (ICR), the local subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed gaming and hospitality giant Melco Resorts & Entertainment.
The Competition and Markets Authority investigation into the merger between two of the world’s betting firms has been given the all clear.…
The Star Entertainment Group is the latest to defer their payouts to shareholders as they cope with lockdown measures that have devastated…
With casinos shut and major sports cancelling or postponing their seasons, bookmakers and gambling sites are still finding ways to reach problem…