Wed, Jul 10, 2:12pm by Staff Writer
Crown’s $2 billion casino tower at Barangaroo would have nearly four times the amount of car parking as similar developments, according to objections raised by the City of Sydney over revised plans for the site.
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the city’s Lord Mayor Clover Moore has recently been critical of Crown’s plans to increase the number of apartments and parking spaces at the 71-storey casino and residential complex being built on the harbour foreshore.
The council elaborated on its opposition to the changes to the project in its submission to the plans.
The desired changes would see the tower’s overall size stay the same, but the footprint of some of the residences reduced to fit 21 extra apartments, raising the number of units to 87.
The number of parking spaces would also grow by 31 to a total of 641 parking spaces – an amount the City of Sydney says is “excessive and counter to sound urban planning and concept plan principles.”
Under the revised plans, there would be 37 fewer visitor spaces, but an additional 21 valet spaces and 47 residential spaces.
An extra 19 bicycle parking spaces would be provided.
“The overall parking rates proposed in the development are noted to be almost four times higher than similar sites in surrounding areas subject to provisions set out by the Sydney local environment plan,” the council said in its submission.
“Encouraging excessive car use into the area will have the potential to lead to increased conflicts between pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles and reduce the amenity for people using the precinct.”
The council said the boost in parking spaces was also at odds with the “significant investment” in public transport in the area, which is close to train and ferry stop sand the future Metro station.
In its submission, the council raised objections to “the proposed modifications to the approved design, particularly in regards to the public domain and building interface fronting the waterfront promenade, wind mitigation impacts at the ground level, transport and traffic impacts and potential social impacts.”
Crown’s proposal for two-to-five bedroom units “made no effort to provide an adequate dwelling mix” and the lack of affordable or key worker homes was “not in the public interest”, the council said.
“The proposed residential component of the site fails to achieve various design principles … primarily in terms of providing inadequate private open space and relying on an outdoor terrace also used by VIP hotel members as ‘communal open space’.”
More excess @ Barangaroo;
Crown has applied for additional apartments at its Barangaroo casino development;
"overall parking rates proposed are…almost 4 x higher than similar sites in surrounding areas subject to LEP” @cityofsydney submission https://t.co/z0Tu5UTslc
— Philip Thalis (@PhilipThalis) July 9, 2019
Last month, Cr Moore said the proposed changes to the tower complex added “insult to injury” and sacrificed public land “so private interests can profit from selling apartments to millionaires.”
Crown Resorts said it was seeking to increase the number of apartments and parking spaces at the site in response to “market feedback” on the luxury residences at the tower’s residential component, One Barangaroo.
Traffic and parking assessment commissioned by the developer found the changes would decrease congestion during peak hours, because residents moved their vehicles less frequently than visitors.
Crown Resorts’ latest project in Sydney is on course to meet its completion in the first half of 2021, The Urban Developer reports.
Following 14 months of construction, the hotel and casino development stands almost 120 metres above the harbour, with the first level of residences on level 33 scheduled to be poured in July.
In December, Crown and developer Lendlease won its fight against the New South Wales government to retain Sydney’s billion dollar harbour views at the Barangaroo project in a decision handed down by the Supreme Court.
In early November, only a small proportion of hotel rooms and no apartments at
Crown’s A$2 billion casino tower at Barangaroo in Sydney would have their Opera House and Harbour Bridge views obstructed by a neighbouring development.
Crown and infrastructure giant Lendlease successfully sued the New South Wales government in a bid to protect “sight lines” at the southern end of Barangaroo.
In a report released on November 11, the Barangaroo Delivery Authority showed to the New South Wales Supreme Court that concessions had already been made to ensure that only small sections of Crown’s tower would be affected by developments in the area.
Crown and Lendlease argued that clauses in their 2015 development contracts stipulated they should have been progressively consulted on the development plans for Central Barangaroo.
The Barangaroo Development Authority unsuccessfully argued that relevant clauses in thecontract were focused on good faith negotiations, which balanced the desire to optimise development at the site and did not guarantee that “sight lines” would be retained.
The views from Lendlease’s development will be significantly more affected than Crown’s casino hotel and residential complex, which is due to be completed in 2021.
For the Philippine-based gambling sector, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) wears both white and black hats, although you may want to…
It was a battle to get Encore Boston Harbour open with Wynn Resorts’ founding father and former boss Steve Wynn accused of…
Macau is putting its junket operators under tighter regulatory scrutiny following Suncity Group’s week to forget, but have so far found no…