Wed, May 13, 8:03pm by Mia Chapman
Four new towers are emerging from the ground near George Street in Brisbane’s CBD.
The Brisbane Times reports the new towers are part of the $3.6 billion privately owned Queen’s Wharf resort and casino development.
For three years, since construction began in early 2017, development has been underground or along the Brisbane River.
Now, the precinct’s first four towers – including hotels, private apartments and gaming areas – are materialising between George and William streets.
Queen’s Wharf project director Simon Crooks said the next phase would mark the change from when “the people of Brisbane looked down into the buildings and instead, looked into them.”
The tallest tower is the Queen’s Wharf Residences, which is being built on the corner of Margaret and George streets.
The next two towers facing South Bank will house Star’s five-star Grand Hotel and the casino’s gaming operations.
“These two towers make up the river-facing side of the integrated resort and form the platform for the Sky Deck that will sit more than 100 metres above street level,” Mr Crooks said.
“These towers will include more than 330 new five-star hotel rooms, along with new gaming facilities to replace the 25-year-old Treasury Casino.
The Treasury Casino will close and become a high-end retail centre in the final stages of development.
The fourth tower is near the heritage-listed old Government Printing Office, which is set to be preserved.
“This tower situated behind the old printery heritage buildings between George and William streets will climb to close to 200 metres,” Mr Crooks said.
“It will house the 4.5-star Dorsett Hotel in the lower half of the building and the six-star luxury Rosewood Hotel in the top half of the tower.”
Beneath the apartment tower and hotel are the retail spaces, restaurants, bars and conference and gaming facilities.
On the top floor will be an outdoor movie screen, an events space and market facilities.
Star proposes two further apartment towers for the Queen’s Wharf site but they are planned for beyond 2024, after the main development is open to the public in 2022.
People would begin to recognise William Street from July when the five levels of car park were finished, Mr Crooks said.
“We are now at level five of the car park basements and the east end of William Street has reached Margaret Street level, with the complete section of William Street expected to be re-established by July,” he said.
“This means William Street will be reconstructed and used by construction traffic to build the remaining basements and podium levels.
“In the future, when the whole development is open, William Street will again have public vehicle access.”
— Nine News Queensland (@9NewsQueensland) May 8, 2020
Brisbane’s development industry is buzzing after most of the apartments in Queensland’s largest construction project were snapped up within a matter of days, despite the project not officially launching until next month, according to industry insiders.
News.com.au reported in March that the development’s website states Queen’s Wharf Residences are not due for launch until March 5, but sources have told Talk of the Town that at least 500 of the 667 luxury apartments have already sold – mostly to local trophy buyers wanting a piece of what’s set to become Brisbane’s most recognisable landmark.
Within minutes of the residential project’s allocation launch last week, hundreds of millions of dollars-worth of apartments were reportedly sold to VIPs and private buyers.
There are dozens of expressions of interest waiting to be signed up in case any of the sales fall over.
Apartment prices range from $550,000 for a one-bedroom unit to up to about $3 million for a three-bedroom unit with a parking space.
YPM Group director and head of residential sales for Queens Wharf Residences Bryce O’Connor declined to comment on pre-release sales in the project, except to say that there had been an “unprecedented level of local interest.”
“There has been an enormous amount of interest from the local market and we’re thankful to the Brisbane market for showing the support they have,” Mr O’Connor said.
“I think the local market has been waiting for something quite special to come along; high-quality apartments and something exciting in terms of being a destination for the Brisbane public.”
The $3.6 billion Queen’s Wharf ‘integrated resort’ is earmarked for completion in late 2022, with promises it will lure an extra 1.4 million tourists to Brisbane each year.
The core complex, taking up an entire block between William and George streets in the city, includes three hotels, a residential tower and a casino.
The project is the work of Destination Brisbane Consortium, a joint venture between Star Entertainment Group, Far East Consortium and Chow Tai Took Enterprises.
Australia’s largest gambling machine manufacturer has agreed to pay A$47.4 million to settle two lawsuits lodged in Washington State. Channel news reports…
Pubs and clubs are seeking further tax breaks from the New South Wales government on millions of dollars of gaming revenue as…
Gaming giant Crown Resorts has been wooing punters at some of Sydney’s largest clubs and RSLs, as doubts grow about visits from…