Wed, Oct 25, 3:04pm by Head Editor
2015 Snooker World Champion Stuart Bingham has been handed a six-month ban after he was found guilty by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) for betting on the outcome of matches.
The 41-year-old – who defeated Shaun Murphy to claim his first world title two years ago – admitted to betting on the outcomes of matches involving other players, but the investigation also uncovered that he had also placed bets on fixtures in which he was involved.
The World No.9 will miss the Masters, the International Championship and the UK Championships, but half of his ban has been suspended. The Englishman’s ban begins immediately and he will not have the cue back in his hands until January 26 next year
Bingham must also pay $34,000 in costs.
WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson said in a statement that “it is very disappointing to see such a high-profile player fall foul of the WPBSA betting rules,” but there was no evidence that he was “doing anything to influence match outcomes or engaged in corrupt activity”.
The popular character is not the first to be found guilty of having a punt this year, with Joe Perry given a three-month suspension in July, after he was found to have placed nearly 200 bets on matches.
Perry said shortly after the investigation concluded that he placed the bets “purely out of boredom or distraction”.
The illegal bets were placed in accounts under his name, his managers and in a third-party account over a 12-year period, totalling $61,000.
Bingham, who has been a professional since 1999, has until November 6 to appeal against the decision and considering that the three tournaments he is set to miss are some of the most lucrative on the calendar, he may do so.
With the Aussie Millions coming to an end last week, all eyes turn to the annual US Poker Open at the Aria…
The Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation has reported on recent changes that allow Victorian hotels and clubs to provide cashless gaming to their…
A report by the ABC has revealed that dozen of Woolworths pubs are being investigated over claims staff illegally gave free drinks…