Tue, Apr 30, 5:30pm by Staff Writer
Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has revealed it will fast track development of a fourth tower of The Star Gold Coast as part of the property’s ongoing $850 million makeover, Inside Asian Gaming reports.
Construction on the tower, set to stand 215 metres tall, will now start in 2020, with apartment pre-sales to begin as early as next month.
It will also house a 5-star hotel, restaurants and bars, a day spa and night-time entertainment venues.
“This latest hotel tower will further progress the internationally competitive resort facilities we are offering to domestic and international tourists,” Star Entertainment group managing director and CEO Matt Bekier said.
“If our masterplan is rolled out in full – and there is so much more we would like to deliver – The Star Gold Coast will be the equal of the finest integrated resorts in the world and complement our $3.6 billion project at Queen’s Wharf Brisbane.
“Under the right conditions and circumstances, we will operate both properties in tandem as beacons for south-east Queensland, drawing interstate and international visitors to turbo-charge the tourism industry,” he said.
The new tower will be The Star Gold Coast’s second mixed-use hotel and apartment tower after the $400 million Drosett, which broke ground in 2018 and is due for completion by 2022.
Star Entertainment Group recently unveiled its proposed A$2 billion masterplan for the Gold Coast, including four more hotel towers and associated facilities on Broadbeach Island, although that plan might be shelved should the Queensland State Government follow through with its plan to issue a second Gold Coast casino licence.
The government last month called for global registrations of interest in developing a new casino on the Gold Coast, with the likes of Genting Group, Caesars International and Hard Rock International among the operators interested.
— BetLatam “The Original” (@bet_latam) April 29, 2019
The world famous Las Vegas casino Caesars Palace is among 12 expected bidders for a second casino license on the Gold Coast.
Among the other suitors include Hard Rock International and emerging Cambodian-based gaming giant NagaCorp.
The Queensland government this week announced that it had resurrected plans for an integrated casino resort after the idea was abandoned ahead of the 2017 state election.
After months of speculation, Tourism Minister Kate Jones confirmed the government was calling for expressions of interest for the development, but that there was no preferred site.
Ms Jones said the Global Tourism Hub project would not involve an increase to the 7,500 poker machines licensed on the Gold Coast.
At present, The Australian reports that 600 licensed machines are not in use.
Ms Jones said the tender process should drive greater investment in Gold Coast tourism.
At least 11 potential sites have been identified by the government for the project, which is expected to have a strong entertainment emphasis.
There will be a limit of five per cent of the resort’s floor space being dedicated to gaming.
Ms Jones said the government would not be revealed the potential sites at this stage.
“We have had more than a dozen operations from around the world come forward saying they would like to have a look at what sites are suitable,” she said.
“We have confidence a competitive process offers a better outcome for the people of the Gold Coast,” she said.
Star Entertainment hosted and covered the costs of a Labor fundraiser at its Brisbane casino hotel for Queensland’s Attorney-General Yvette D’Ath. The…
Aristocrat Leisure has more than a dozen mobile video games in the works. The Australian Financial Review reports 19 games are in…
The Star Casino has been dealt a major blow with its $530 million luxury casino and apartment tower plan rejected by the…