Tue, Nov 13, 3:13pm by Staff Writer
Hard Rock International is the front-runner to land the second Gold Coast casino license indicating to local government that it would build an exciting entertainment resort.
The site of the casino remains contentious, with Gold Coat Mayor Tom Tate ruling out Evandale as the site for the project.
Space at Evandale had been set aside for the newly developed Home Of the Arts, with a 10-year master plan already in place.
There are a variety of other Gold Coast locations that Cr Tate proposed for the casino including Carey Park in Southport and Broadwater Parklands.
Cr Tate remarked that Southport would be the ideal location for the casino given its proximity to transport options. Tate told mygc.com.au
“I like Southport as a location given the transport investment has already been made there, and we have a Priority Development Approval system in place. The consortium mentions the Carey Park area at Southport.”
He acknowledges that this will be a State-led project and that State approval before Christmas is essential to the plan moving forward.
Hard Rock International CEO for Asia Pacific Edward Tracey said, “we believe Queensland has a strong market for a potential new product paradigm, one that is more entertainment-centric.”
Queensland’s Tourism Minister Kate Jones made it clear that the government’s endorsement of a second Gold Coast casino would hinge on big-name entertainment.
“When we go to market on the Gold Coast, we should focus on big-name entertainment, bringing the likes of Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez to the Coast to perform,” Ms Jones said.
Hard Rock has recently embarked on an expansion of its existing portfolio after selling its iconic Las Vegas facility to billionaire Sir Richard Branson.
It hopes to open a casino in Dublin, Ireland and will bid for a license in the newly opened gambling industry in Japan.
Momentum is gathering for a second casino on the Coast just days after the State Government approved a A$2 billion expansion of The Star Gold Coast.
The development would include four new accommodation towers and each would create up to 1,800 jobs during construction and 7,200 new jobs in total with 3,000 ongoing operational positions.
The new buildings would be an addition to The Star Grand, luxury hotel The Darling and the under construction Dorsett Hotel apartments and tower that is set to be completed by 2022.
Managing director and CEO of The Star Entertainment Group Matt Beiker welcomed the government’s support stating, “the 3,000 hotel rooms and apartments would also exceeded what the world-renowned Marina Bay Sands in Singapore offers, and be on a scale to compare with the largest integrated resorts in Las Vegas.”
Australian gaming technology firm Aristocrat Leisure has found itself embroiled in a class action lawsuit in the United States over Big Fish…
Macau’s gambling hub is known for its flashy casinos and bright lights, but also a powerful family dynasty. 97-year-old Stanley Ho is…
Spending by wealthy foreign high-rollers has dipped across The Star’s casinos during the past six months. The Australian casino giant has reported…