The #1 Resource for aussie gambling!
  • Safe & Secure Sites
  • 100's of Free Games
  • Expert Casino Reviews

The #1 Resource for aussie gambling!

New entrance for Star Sydney

Fri, May 10, 8:36am by Staff Writer

The Star Sydney will put on a $22 million permanent light show as part of a major transformation to its entrance in an attempt to entice international visitors.

Perth Now is reporting the new grand foyer at Pyrmont, which was launched yesterday, will feature a light display designed by Ramus Illumination, who have worked for U2, David Bowie, The Academy Awards, The Grammys and the Super Bowl half time shows.

Falling water called ‘Aquatique’, lights and a 25 metre digital screen which responds to movement – a new experience for the 20,000 guests who walk through the foyer each day.

“The integration of Aquatique, LED screens, lasers, lighting and live performances is a world first for an entertainment precinct,” Star chief operating officer Dino Mezzatesta said.

The crescent-shaped screen will display work from Australian artists, university students, cinematographers and animators.

A spokesman for The Star said the foyer transformation – as well as the unification of The Star name across its Gold Coast and Brisbane casinos – was part of a wider international tourism strategy.

Chinese tourism is set to nearly triple from current numbers of 1.4 million visitors a year to 3.9 million by 2027, the spokesman said.

“These are significant numbers. What these visitors want is food and wine, luxury accommodation and experience,” the spokesman told AAP.

“We are really feeding what international tourists not only want but what they need.

There will also be a new bar and retailers as part of a total $65 million Pyrmont entrance transformation.

Star chasing more than $40m from Singaporean high roller

The Star Casino in Queensland is seeking more than A$43 million from a high roller gambler it flew in to play on its tables.

Wong Yer Choy from Singapore argues that the casino in Queensland made mistakes on the baccarat games he played in and he should not have to pay up.

The amount being sought by The Star Entertainment Group is believed to be the largest casino debt sum file in the Australian High Court, according to The New Paper.

Dr Wong, in his defence papers, is described as a highly respected patron of casinos around the globe, who is regularly provided with concessions and incentive packages.

He had been invited by the Star’s marketing representative to patronize the casino, and was offered the use of a private jet for his trip and A$200,000 as “lucky money”.

The Star claimed he requested a cheque cashing facility for A$40 million, which it approved. This was increased by another A$10 million.

By September 7, Dr Wong had lost A$43.2 million. The casino wrote the amount into the “blank” cheque which Dr Wong had given, to be drawn from a Singapore-based bank.

The cheque later bounced, which subsequently led to the casino filing a suit against him in the High Court last month through lawyer Alfred Lim of Fullerton Law Chambers.

Dr Wong is defended by Mr Abraham Vergis of Providence Law Asia and disputes the casino’s version of events.

He said he did not request a credit cheque facility but was offered the A$40 million facility to obtain chips on credit in early July, which was later raised to A$50 million on July 29, which he accepted.

He provided a blank cheque on arrival on July 26 and in return, received chips worth A$40 million and later, a further A$10 million.

Dr Wong claims there were mistakes made by the dealer when he played baccarat. These mistakes were acknowledged in writing by a casino official.

He decided not to continue gambling beyond July 29, but claims he was persuaded otherwise by a senior executive the next day.


More News

See All News