Mon, Mar 18, 9:00am by Staff Writer
The world’s largest real-money online poker room, PokerStars, is on the verge of celebrating its 13th anniversary.
Its iconic Sunday Million tournament has had its guarantee boosted from $1 million to $10 million, with the winner of the special tournament on April 14 guaranteed to take home $1 million.
The tournament will feature a $215 buy-in, up from the $109 that PokerStars implemented in January.
Earlier this year, PokerStars announced a $109 buy-in.
The PokerStars blog said that all other features of the tournament will remain the same.
Registration will be open for three hours and fifteen minutes. Blind levels remain 12 minutes long for the first ten levels, with 15-minute levels after.
The starting stack stays 10,000 with a first blind level of 25/50 with a 5-ante.
The Sunday Million dates back to March 6, 2006, when 5,893 players competed for a total prize pool of $1,178,600.
Canada’s “aaaaaaaa” made history by shipping the inaugural event for $173,844.
Since then, there have been more than 600 Sunday Million tournaments with more than $750 million awarded.
PokerStars is excited about the success of the tournament and is looking forward to celebrating its anniversary.
The Director of Poker Innovation and Operation at The Stars Group Severin Rasset said, “we’re thrilled to be a part of this poker milestone, but the credit goes to all of the poker lovers out thee who have made the Sunday Million happen nearly every week for the past 13 years, so we hope to see them at the tables on April 14.
Last year, PokerStars celebrated its 12th anniversary of the Sunday Million with two tournaments that each guaranteed $10 million.
“Brazil’s “Hulk9950” was able to ship the first one in February 2018 for $960,000 after agreeing to a three-way deal on the final table, according to Poker News.
Two months later in April 2018, “Daenarys T” from the Netherlands won the Sunday Million Anniversary take 2 for $1,000,043.
— PokerStars UK & IRE (@PokerStarsUK) March 15, 2019
The online poker market in the United States is shrouded in uncertainty after the reinterpretation of the Wire Act earlier this month.
The Department of Justice originally laid out an April 15 deadline for compliance with Wire Act, which applied to all forms of online gambling and not just sports betting.
The date has been extended for 60 days to June 14, Online Poker Report reported.
Stakeholders in online gaming reacted with an uproar after the Department of Justice memo in January.
The new Act “will probably be tested in the courts” according to The Washington Post and “many in the gambling industry fear the new interpretation will limit the growth of the online betting industry across states.”
The WSOP is currently grappling with this issue, having scheduled nine online bracelet events without confirming whether individuals from New Jersey will be able to play again.
The new compliance date falls in the middle of the WSOP, with a conservative decision to restrict events to Nevada meaning smaller prize pools could be on offer for players involved.
Sydney City Council has labeled plans by Crown Casino to increase the number of apartments at its Barangaroo site on Sydney’s foreshore…
Marina Bay Sands, one of Singapore’s two casino resorts, has dropped a S$10 million lawsuit against an Australian high roller who failed…
Layoffs at MGM Resorts International may help – not hurt – the operator captures one of three coveted gaming licences up for…