Fri, Apr 12, 10:06am by Staff Writer
Excavation work at the site of the Queen’s Wharf resort in Queensland nears completion, with the actual construction phase slated to begin in late 2019.
Casino News Daily is reporting that the winning bidder for the construction of the A$3.6 billion Queen’s Wharf luxury integrated resort in Brisbane will be announced within weeks.
Geoff Hogg, managing director Queensland for Australian casino operator The Star Entertainment Group said that “somewhere in the next four to six weeks” they will announce the successful tender that “will start building the main core and shell of the Queen’s Wharf development.”
The Star is the leading partner in Destination Brisbane Consortium that was selected in 2016 as the winning bidder or the development and operation of an integrated resort in Brisbane’s Central Business District.
The company won the race over its biggest arch rival Crown Resorts.
Mr Hogg went on to explain that the soon to be announced winning tender will be tasked with the “core concrete and shell” of the resort.
Tenders for internal fit outs will follow at a later stage.
Announcing the winning tender for the primary construction work will make an important milestone and the shift from excavation toward the start of construction, Mr Hogg said.
Excavation work began early in 2017. Mr Hogg explained that phase is now almost complete.
Workers have so far demolished a number of government owned buildings to prepare the site for setting the foundations.
Mr Hogg explained that they expect to reach an important milestone in mid 2019 when all 450,000 cubic metres of soil and rock would be taken out and the hole in the ground would be finished.
Foundation work is slated to begin shortly afterwards while actual construction work is likely to commence by Christmas.
They expect to be ready to begin ground level work by mid 2020. The luxury resort will feature a massive underground car park.
The Star is targeting 2022 as the opening year of the major party of its property.
The launch will include three hotels, one operating under The Star brand, as well as Dorsett-branded and Rosewood-branded hotels, food and beverage facilities, public spaces at the flagship Sky Deck, The Landing and Waterline, and retail spaces.
The gaming and hospitality giant currently runs Brisbane’s Treasury Casino.
That facility will be closed when the main resort is finished and The Star will relocate its licence to a larger casino at its Queen’s Wharf resort.
As for its old gaming operation, it will be transformed into a retail centre.
— Casino Life Magazine (@casinolifemag) April 10, 2019
The Star Casino in Sydney is going to deploy facial recognition technology according to The Daily Telegraph.
The move is part of a $10 million security upgrade to the casino after a dealer was caught trying to steal a $5,000 chip by hiding it in his sock. The incident was caught by CCTV cameras directly above his head.
The anonymous employee of Sydney’s Star Casino was caught red-handed by the complexes security cameras, with footage released on Sunday.
The footage shows the dealer fidgeting with the tray of chips while he talks to patrons.
In a subtle move, he pinches a chip with his pinky and ring finger, exposing it briefly to the cameras before stowing it in his palm.
He then looks at the ground, before reaching underneath the table for a few seconds and resurfacing.
The dealer shows his open palm face-up to the camera – a move called “showing clean hands’ which is instilled on employees during training to prove they don’t have any chips in their hands.
The dealer then shifts his now-empty hand across the table and towards the deck of cards on his left to continue the game as if the theft had not happened.
The facial recognition cameras will be deployed in high-risk areas over the coming months and be able to match peoples’ faces to those held in a database of known offenders.
The first of ten tower cranes has arrived at the site of the $3.6 billion Queen’s Wharf integrated resort in Brisbane, marking…
Tuesday's Oz Lotto has jackpotted to a whopping $80 million after eluding a division one winner for eight weeks. The eye-watering sum…
Casino Canberra is back in talks with the government for the first time since its $330 million expansion proposal was knocked back…