Tue, Aug 20, 1:16pm by Staff Writer
Crown Resorts has reached a settlement with the New South Wales government to end their legal battle over a planned development that would obstruct views of the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge from their new Barangaroo hotel and casino.
Yahoo News is reporting the settlement is confidential, with the government’s Barangaroo Delivery Authority found to have breached its contract with Crown and infrastructure giant Lendlease by failing to negotiate with them over the retention of sight lines, the New South Wales Supreme Court found last December.
The BDA had sought leave to appeal the decision but Infrastructure NSW, which absorbed the BDA on July 1, has now agreed not to proceed.
“The terms of the settlement are confidential,” Crown said on Monday in a statement to the ASX.
“Crown is satisfied with the outcome of the settlement and the retention of the sight lines across Central Barangaroo from the Harbour Bridge to the Sydney Opera House.”
Crown expects the first guests at its new hotel by early 2021.
Sydney City Council has labeled plans by Crown Casino to increase the number of apartments at its Barangaroo site on Sydney’s foreshore as “outrageous”.
The ABC reported in June that Crown Casino submitted an application to increase the number of luxury apartments in the tower, known as 1 Barangaroo, from 66 to 87, with decreased visitor spaces to allow for more valet parking.
The application said the increase is due to “market feedback”.
The apartments are in Crown’s Barangaroo skyscraper, which is due to be completed in 2021 and will also include a luxury casino and hotel.
Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the Council had no authority over Barangaroo developments, and any approved increase would be another erosion in public trust for the site.
“The people of Australia should be outraged that the precious public land along the foreshore of the global city has been sacrificed so private interests can profit from selling apartments to millionaires,” she said.
— The Sydney Morning Herald (@smh) August 19, 2019
“Both NSW Government and Opposition supported the proposal to build this tower, cannibalizing planned parkland and continuous harbour foreshore.
“This remains an outrageous betrayal of the community’s trust, an abuse of power that places private ahead of the public interest.”
The Barangaroo Delivery Authority said the application by Crown for 21 additional apartments and other modifications including the internal layout of the casino’s hotel is with the NSW Department of Planning for assessment.
It said the proposals were available online and available for public submissions.
Phillip Thalis is a City of Sydney councillor and an architect who worked on the original Barangaroo design.
He said the initial plans for the site had half the area as parkland.
“The whole thing is a catastrophe from beginning to end,” he said.
“Sydney is the real loser here.”
Councillor Thalis, who has decades of experience in urban design, said his original blueprint had been eroded.
“The size of the buildings is just enormous and they are just encroaching on the foreshore so that the foreshore is basically commercial space,” Mr Thalis said.
Mr Thalis claimed there had been a compound failure of seven NSW Governments to realize the original vision for Barangaroo.
In a statement, Crown told the ABC it would be “inappropriate to comment” as a planning application had been lodged.
The community is being encouraged to give feedback on the modification plan, a spokesperson for the Department of Planning and Environment said in a statement.
“The modification request does not seek to change the already approved total gross floor area of the building, the area allocated to the casino or the height of the building,” the statement said.
The Palms Casino Resort just closed down its outdoor pool area for a massive renovation. EDM Tunes reports that the renovation is…
Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment is set to become the first tribal casino operator on the Las Vegas Strip after entering into a…
The Alice Springs’ Crowne Plaza Lasseters was fined $18,000 for housing drunk players in its halls. Tunf reports the Alice’s strict policies…