Thu, Jul 27, 5:19pm by Staff Writer
The World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association suspended 2015 Players Championship winner Joe Perry for three months, for breaching betting rules.
The ban has been suspended until the end of next year’s World Championship provided there are no other subsequently proven breaches, the WPBSA confirmed in a statement on Wednesday.
Perry, who achieved his career high ranking of eight in December last year, admitted placing 193 bets over a four-year period between September 2009 and June 2013 worth $4577, making a profit of $1357.
The 42-year-old was also fined £2500 ($4076), but because none of the bets involved matches in which he was competing, he escaped further sanctions. He did however, bet on matches in tournaments in which he was involved.
Snooker players are not allowed to place any bets on the sport, whether they are directly involved or not.
A WPBSA statement said: “There is no suggestion whatsoever that Mr Perry was doing anything to influence match outcomes or engaged in any corrupt activity, he was solely betting on snooker.”
Snooker’s world governing body also said there was “no suggestion Perry was engaged in any corrupt activity”.
When giving evidence Perry said he placed the bets “”purely out of boredom or distraction” the WPBSA has confirmed.
The biggest win of Perry’s career came when he beat Mark Williams at the 2015 Players Championship Grand Final in Thailand, while he also reached the Crucible final four in 2008, when he lost to Ali Carter.
With the Aussie Millions coming to an end last week, all eyes turn to the annual US Poker Open at the Aria…
The Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation has reported on recent changes that allow Victorian hotels and clubs to provide cashless gaming to their…
A report by the ABC has revealed that dozen of Woolworths pubs are being investigated over claims staff illegally gave free drinks…