Fri, Jul 5, 3:21pm by Staff Writer
High-profile Gold Coast restaurateur Simon Gloftis has left Nineteen at The Star, the swish restaurant and bar he set up with Glitter Strip hospitality power couple Billie and Jackie Crosa Cross on the 19th floor of The Star’s new Darling hotel last year.
The West Australian is reporting that Gloftis, also owner of acclaimed Queensland eateries Hellenika on the Coast and in Brisbane, announced the news in an Instagram post on Wednesday.
He said he had asked The Star to release him from his contact ‘and as of today I am no longer involved in @nineteenatthestar,” he posted.
“The decision was not made lightly, however it had become pretty obvious to me that my own venues – and future projects – requires my full attention, focus and energy,” he wrote.
The Star have been incredibly understanding of my desire to concentrate on that oath and I thank them for supporting me. “In my heart I know I’ve made the right choice.
“I’m sure that Nineteen at The Star will continue to be a huge success and I wish my partners, Billy and Jackie Cross, and everyone at The Star all the very best for the future.
“Everyone knows my teams my life and I can’t thank them enough for following my vision with such precision and professionalism. I’m going to miss them deeply.
“I look forward to sharing with you details of my newest ventures and thank you for your ongoing support,” Gloftis said.
Simon Gloftis exits Gold Coast Star Casino
BROADBEACH: High-profile Gold Coast restaurateur Simon Gloftis has cashed in his chips at the… pic.twitter.com/Pfi0DOJ4PJ
— 9AM GM Daily News (@9AM_GM_News) July 4, 2019
Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has revealed it will fast track development of a fourth tower of The Star Gold Coast as part of the property’s ongoing $850 million makeover, Inside Asian Gaming reported in April.
Construction on the tower, set to stand 215 metres tall, will now start in 2020, with apartment pre-sales to begin as early as next month.
It will also house a 5-star hotel, restaurants and bars, a day spa and night-time entertainment venues.
“This latest hotel tower will further progress the internationally competitive resort facilities we are offering to domestic and international tourists,” Star Entertainment group managing director and CEO Matt Bekier said.
“If our masterplan is rolled out in full – and there is so much more we would like to deliver – The Star Gold Coast will be the equal of the finest integrated resorts in the world and complement our $3.6 billion project at Queen’s Wharf Brisbane.
“Under the right conditions and circumstances, we will operate both properties in tandem as beacons for south-east Queensland, drawing interstate and international visitors to turbo-charge the tourism industry,” he said.
The new tower will be The Star Gold Coast’s second mixed-use hotel and apartment tower after the $400 million Drosett, which broke ground in 2018 and is due for completion by 2022.
Star Entertainment Group recently unveiled its proposed A$2 billion masterplan for the Gold Coast, including four more hotel towers and associated facilities on Broadbeach Island, although that plan might be shelved should the Queensland State Government follow through with its plan to issue a second Gold Coast casino licence.
The government last month called for global registrations of interest in developing a new casino on the Gold Coast, with the likes of Genting Group, Caesars International and Hard Rock International among the operators interested.
Last week, Caesars pulled out of its tender process, with its sale to Eldorado said to have played a major role in the casino giant’s thoughts towards expansion.
MGM Resorts’ status as the front runner to be the first casino operator to open an integrated resort in Japan was cemented…
SkyCity Entertainment Group has outlined its plans for Adelaide casino as part of a $330 million renovation. Asgam reports the group is…
The government of the Australian Capital Territory commissioned a survey about gambling in the territory during the past 12 months, with the…