Fri, May 24, 9:01am by Staff Writer
US billionaire Steve Wynn left his casino empire and a top Republican National Committee spot last year, after allegations of sexual harassment and assault emerged.
That has not stopped the RNC from accepting a large cheque from the casino mogul, 9 News reports.
Mr Wynn donated US$248,500 to the RNC last month, a person familiar with the donation confirmed.
The 77-year-old resigned his post as the RNC’s finance chairman last year, following allegations in the Wall Street Journal of sexual misconduct that spanned decades.
Mr Wynn, who has denied any wrongdoing, also resigned in February 2018 as chairman and chief executive of Wynn Resorts.
He said the “avalanche” of bad publicity made t impossible for him to remain at the helm of the company.
“While we must take any allegations like these seriously, everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence and due process,” RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said in a statement.
“Over the last year and a half, multiple investigations into the allegations against Steve Wynn have concluded,” she said.
The decision to take the money comes after top Republican officials criticised Democrats over past donations from Harvey Weinstein, the former film executive who has been charged in New York with rape and sexual assault.
"The national Republican Party has accepted nearly $400,000 in donations from disgraced ex-casino mogul Steve Wynn — a move that comes just over a year after he was accused of sexually harassing or assaulting employees over a decade-long period."https://t.co/rMFuxtnYmz
— ProgressivePower (@OurProgressive) May 22, 2019
Gambling regulators in the American state of Massachusetts have come down hard on Wynn Resorts, fining them US$35 million (A$50 million), but is crucially allowing the company to keep its casino licence after executives failed to disclose allegations of sexual misconduct against company founder Steve Wynn.
The Age is reporting that the Massachusetts Gaming Commission also fined CEO Matthew Maddox US$500,000 for his ‘clear failure’ to require an investigation of at least one misconduct complaint he’d been aware of.
It also required the Nevada company, which also owns properties in Las Vegas and Macau, to be subject to review by an independent firm selected by the state as a condition of maintaining its licence.
Wynn Resorts and lawyers for Steve Wynn didn’t respond to emails seeking comment on the late evening decision, which effectively clears the way for the opening of the company’s US$2.6 billion Encore Boston Harbour resort in June.
The long-awaited decision comes after the commission released a report last month of more than 200 pages, held tree days of public hearings and deliberated for nearly four weeks on what company officials knew and did about the allegations.
Steve Wynn has denied the claims, saying his relationships with female employees, many of them spa workers and cocktail waitresses, had been consensual.
Wynn Resorts executives are in talks about a possible sale of its yet-to-be-opened $2.6 billion casino just outside of Boston to MGM Resorts, Forbes reports.
The two company’s released a joint statement announcing the news last Friday.
In early May, Wynn chief executive officer Matt Maddox and MGM chief executive officer Jim Murren met in person in Las Vegas to explore the possibility of a sale.
“Over the past several weeks, we have engaged in conversations around the potential sale of Encore Boston Harbour,” the statement reads.
The companies add that the talks are “very preliminary” and the casino giants do not know “where these conversations will lead.”
Encore’s licence is the only one the state will allow in the Boston area, making it highly desirable.
MGM, on the other hand, owns the only casino licence for Western Massachusetts for its Springfield location.
According to Massachusetts law, a company can only hold one casino licence.
SenSen Networks has had the quality of its latest gaming solution confirmed by international evaluators. Proactive Investors is reporting that SenSen networks…
Less than a year after MGM Springfield’s historic opening, the state’s second resort casino is set to open this weekend. After months…
Another wild and wooly Saturday night in Las Vegas, where a couple more bracelets were handed out at the Rio Casino, with…