The #1 Resource for aussie gambling!
  • Safe & Secure Sites
  • 100's of Free Games
  • Expert Casino Reviews

The #1 Resource for aussie gambling!

Wynn’s Encore Casino all systems go

Thu, May 9, 5:53pm by Staff Writer

Wynn Resorts’ newly developed Encore Casino in Boston Harbour is set to receive guests from June 23, Casino Buzz reports.

It was just last week when the gambling and casino operator was slapped with a fine by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission following an investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations on the former Wynn Resorts CEO, Steve Wynn.

The Age reported that the Massachusetts Gaming Commission fined the company US$35 million and current CEO Matthew Maddox US$500,000 for his ‘clear failure’ to require an investigation of at least one misconduct complaint he’d been aware of.

It also required the Nevada company, which also owns properties in Las Vegas and Macau, to be subject to review by an independent firm selected by the state as a condition of maintaining its licence.

Wynn Resorts and lawyers for Steve Wynn didn’t respond to emails seeking comment on the late evening decision, which effectively clears the way for the opening of the company’s US$2.6 billion Encore Boston Harbour resort in June.

The long-awaited decision comes after the commission released a report last month of more than 200 pages, held tree days of public hearings and deliberated for nearly four weeks on what company officials knew and did about the allegations.

Steve Wynn has denied the claims, saying his relationships with female employees, many of them spa workers and cocktail waitresses, had been consensual.

Maddox along with others in the management was found to be complicit in concealing facts and downplaying the allegations of sexual misconduct against the former CEO.

Earlier in February, the Nevada Gaming Commission (NGC) had also fined Wynn Resorts $20 million citing similar reasons after they conducted a prolonged but detailed investigation into the allegations.

However, as expected, the two gambling commissions somehow did not find it necessary to meddle with the gambling licence of Wynn Resorts; hence, they are allowed to continue with casino and gambling operations both in Nevada and Massachusetts – business as usual.

In October 2018, last year Massachusetts’ Gaming Commission head resigned a day before investigations into alleged sexual misconduct by company chief executive officer Steve Wynn were to begin.

Stephen Crosby had resigned as Massachusetts Gaming Commission head fearing that accusations of him being biased in decisions concerning the investigation might spring up.

Wynn’s Encore Casino is a $2.5 billion project is nearing completion.

The new luxury gambling venue hosts 3,000 gaming machines, several gaming tables, around 15 different multi-cuisine restaurants, an oyster bar and craft beer garden.

The facility will also have a 27-storey hotel to accommodate guests willing to stay overnight.

It also has a spacious convention hall and a big casino floor.

The head of Wynn Resorts’ design and construction wing Peter Campot said, “we are essentially on schedule and we expect to be in excellent shape by June 1.”

“All of the slot machines are on the floor now, and I think all of them are installed and we’re also installing gaming tables throughout. So if you walk through the facility right now, it looks like a casino, which is pretty neat,” Campot said.

The company is expecting to host 8 million guests annually at the upcoming casino and resort.

Encore President Robert DeSalvio said that it hadn’t been easy to put everything together and that it had taken much effort to get the best from the situation.

Donations aplenty

The Boston Symphony Orchestra picked up an extra US$25,000, the Boston Children’s Chorus received a donation of US$25,000 and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts hit the jackpot with a US$500,000 gift as Wynn sprayed out almost US$1 million in combined donations to 10 community groups and charities.

Other lucky winners include RIZE Massachusetts, which was dealt US$250,000 to put towards its mission to reduce the impact of opioid addition, and the Hispanic American Institute, which collected US$10,000.

Wynn is also getting some Italian saints on side, flipping US$10,000 to the local SS Cosmas and Damian Society for its annual festival paying homage to the patron saints of an Italian town where some of the locals hailed from back in the 1920s.

The sudden interest in Boston’s community sector came after some gruelling hearings by Massachusetts gaming regulators in early April that questioned Wynn’s sustainability to hold a casino licence in the state, putting the whole investment at risk.


More News

  • Filipino gang targets gambler
    Filipino gang targets gambler

    For the Philippine-based gambling sector, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) wears both white and black hats, although you may want to…

  • Blackjack probe for Encore Boston
    Blackjack probe for Encore Boston

    It was a battle to get Encore Boston Harbour open with Wynn Resorts’ founding father and former boss Steve Wynn accused of…

  • Macau holding junket operators to account
    Macau holding junket operators to account

    Macau is putting its junket operators under tighter regulatory scrutiny following Suncity Group’s week to forget, but have so far found no…

See All News